- Resolution: 16
- LCD Size: 3"
- Shutter: 4 ~ 1/2000 sec
There's not much to say about the Nikon COOLPIX L26 other then it's the Japanese electronics manufacturer's latest entry into the crowded compact point-and-shoot market. Yet if there's one auto shot camera focused solely at photography neophytes, this one is it. All you need do is turn it on, point it at your subject, and click the button. As a matter of fact, the COOLPIX L26 has few rivals when it comes to sheer automation.
That said, we typically suspect cameras of this class to have poor picture quality. This is one area where Nikon has done an exceptional job. ISOs over 200 can produce sketchy results, but that's to be expected with automated photography. Under normal conditions you'll be happy with the saturation, sharpness, and white balance. On either end of normal conditions there is some degradation of image quality.
We put the COOLPIX L26 through our usual around-the-town test and were quite pleased with the results. Even the 30 fps video was not bad considering the price and class of this camera. If we have any complaint it would be with the profile. The molded grip on the front levels off just a little too close to the lens making it easy to get your fingers in the way when you're trying to shoot. Other than that however, the COOLPIX L26 is a best in class.
Advantages: very good picture quality for its class; great price; 16 mp resolution; 5x zoom; worry-free automation.
Disadvantages: plastic case feels cheap; connectivity limited to USB; unnecessarily slow speed; noticeable shutter lag.
Price and Availability: the Nikon COOLPIX L26 is currently available in the US, Europe, and Australia -- other markets will vary; US price: $89-$129; UK price: £59-£89
Release Date: February 1, 2012
- Megapixel Count: 4.5/5
- Lens: 4/5
- Shutter Lag & Sensor Size: 4.5/5
- Flash: 4.5/5
- Memory Card: 5/5
- Resolution: 16 mp
- Kit Lens: Nikkor 5x xZoom lens
- View Finder: None
- LCD Size: 3"
- ISO: auto, 80, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600
- Shutter: 4 ~ 1/2000 sec.
- Max Aperture: F3.2-F6.5
- Dimensions: 96 x 60 x 29 mm (3.78 x 2.36 x 1.14")
- Weight: 164 g (0.36 lb / 5.78 oz)
- MSRP: USD $119.95
- Availability: US, Europe, Australia
- General Information: 20 MB internal storage; support for alkaline, Ni-MH, and Li-ion batteries; 3 image quality options; self-timer; a variety of filters and image selection options
- Image Sensor: CCD 16 mp
- Image Capture: JPEG; 6 res. options
- Video Capture: MJPEG; 3 res. options
- Optics: Nikkor 5x xZoom; focal length 26 - 130 mm
- Auto Focus: yes; with 19.7" range, face and contrast detect
- Display: 3" LCD
- Exposure and Flash: ±2 EV range (in 1/3 EV steps); built-in flash with 12' range
- Image Storage: SD, SDHC, SDXC; 20 MB internal
- Connectivity: USB 2.0
- Power: 2 AA Alkaline battery (Included); also supports Lithium-ion and NiMH rechargeable batteries
- Software: Nikon ViewNX 2, drivers & utilities