- Resolution: 18 MP
- LCD Size: 3"
- Shutter: 30 ~ 1/1600 sec
In the crowded point-and-shoot category it's hard to find a pocket camera that offers the convenience of automated shooting with excellent picture quality and zoom capabilities. Sony has successfully created such a package in the Cyber-shot DSC-WX150. Here is a camera that gives you the power of a 10x zoom lens alongside 18 mp resolution and 1080i60 HD video.
We took the Cyber-shot DSC-WX150 around town, down to the beach, and inside some commercial buildings. We were pleasantly surprised at the consistent picture quality even above ISO 400. And where most pocket cameras fall down in low light, this one performed admirably. No matter what conditions we subjected it to we saw very pleasing results. If there are any downsides to the Cyber-shot DSC-WX150, it's the zoom lens itself.
A 10x zoom lens is excellent by most standards, but when you consider the small profile of the Cyber-shot DSC-WX150, it becomes clear that holding the zoom lens steady could be an issue. Indeed, that turned out to be the case. And when you have that issue to deal with it seems as though you can't take full advantage of the 18 mp resolution at a high zoom level. That's a shame, because the potential of the two features together could push this camera over the top. Nonetheless, it ranks high on a list for pocket compacts.
Advantages: consistently good image quality; more than adequate HD video; 10x zoom; 18 mp resolution; minimal shutter lag; simultaneous still shots and video recording.
Disadvantages: too small a size for the lens; can be difficult to grip with zoom fully extended; awkward and small controls; limited continuous shooting capability.
Release Date: February 28, 2012
- Megapixel Count: 5/5
- Lens: 4.5/5
- Shutter Lag & Sensor Size: 4.5/5
- Flash: 4.5/5
- Memory Card: 5/5
- Resolution: 18 MP
- Kit Lens: Sony G 10x xZoom lens
- View Finder: None
- LCD Size: 3" ClearPhoto TFT LCD display
- ISO: auto, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400, 12800
- Shutter: 30 ~ 1/1600 sec.
- Max Aperture: F3.3 - F5.9
- Dimensions: 95 x 56 x 22 mm (3.74 x 2.2 x .87")
- Weight: 133 g (0.29 lb / 4.69 oz)
- MSRP: USD $249.99
- Availability: North America
- General Information: orientation sensor adds a nice touch; 19 MB internal storage; 7 white balance presets; exposure and scene modes are limited.
- Image Sensor: BSI-CMOS 18 mp
- Image Capture: JPEG; 8 res. options
- Video Capture: MPEG-4, ACVHD formats; 4 res. options
- Optics: Sony G 10x zoom lens; focal length 25-250 mm
- Auto Focus: yes; with face detection, contrast detection, tracking, optical image stabilization, 9 focus points
- Display: 3" ClearPhoto TFT LCD display
- Exposure and Flash: ±2 EV (at 1/3 EV steps); built-in flash with 3.7 m range
- Image Storage: SD, SDHC, SDXC, Memory Stick Duo/Pro Duo/Pro-HG Duo; 19 MB internal
- Connectivity: USB 2.0, HDMI, wireless EyeFi
- Power: Li-ion rechargeable battery (240 shots)
- Software: PlayMemories Home, Music Transfer, drivers